Who Am I? Not Spiderman

My photo
Jakarta Pusat, DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
Rizky Novrianto is just an ordinary human being who try to live his life as extraordinary as it can be. I like to be different. You maybe able to find someone better than me, but You may never find someone like me. I hope common courtesy hasn't die yet. Treat people the way you want to be treated and even more, treat other people the way they want to be treated.

Friday, September 27, 2013

The Story of QQ

I know I should've write 2 x 2000 words essay right now, but dang it, my brain just won't start to send the words to my fingers. So to kick-start it, let's do some warm up with writing a story about the beginning or my nickname(s), yeah, I'm a man with a lot of nicknames.

My full name is Rizky Novrianto, in Indonesia, we (mostly) don't have a family name, it just name and all mine. If you want to know what it means, well, Rizky is derive from Arabic language means GIFT FROM GOD. Well, it's a good name, but sadly (or fortunately) that is one common name parents use for their children. But for my second part of my name NOVRIANTO, it's one that's not much people use. NOV means I was born in the month of November, RIAN just a name and ANTO means boy, if ANTI means girl.

I always believe that nickname is showing me how close people are to me. Just like in Japan, there's family name and your name. Just like Nobi Nobita. Nobi is the Family Name and Nobita is the name. If you just know him, you'll call him Nobi-san or Nobi-kun because you're not that close to him to call him by his name. But once you get closer and know him better, you'll start to call him Nobita-kun or maybe even Nobita-chan or just Nobita to show how close you are to him.

So, I always grant a freedom of choice in terms of what you want to call me with. People who just know me might just call me Rizky. Because the easiest way to call a person in Indonesia is to call him/her by his/her first name. My original nickname at home which my parents and family called me is Kiki. It's a cute name, derived from the last part of my first name. 

And then I grew up and meet so many people at my school. Since I lost most of my childhood memory, the thing that I can still remember now is that this nickname thing is begin when I'm at my Junior High School or maybe now they will call it, my 7th grade. In my class there's a girls named Rizky Bontaraswati. So either they call Rizky or Kiki, both of us will answer. So one of my friend give a splendid idea to give both of us nick name. Since my name is Rizky Novrianto, they call me Kinop (rizKY NOVrianto) derived from KyNov. and for the same reason, she'll be called KiBon. Although in the end, the one who the nickname is still sticking is me. Everyone else start calling her Kiki or Rizky and my nickname in school is now Kinop (read : Kee - Nop)

That nick name even evolve, since Kinop seems not HIP, so I evolve it into Q-Nope. It still pronounce in the same way, it just look better. hahaha... Well that is one of my nickname I'm most well known of. Some of my friends might not knowing my real name, but when they hear or see Q-Nope, they'll know it's me. 

Well that's my nicknames that derive from my name. I think some people does once or twice call me with Anto or Novri. But not that much, they're minority, hahaha.

One friend of mine even give me more than just one nick name. First time he met me, he call me Kiki (of course) and then everything evolve from there. He never calls me Q-Nope and once we know more about each other, he call me MoMo (read similar like : Mow - Mow), well it's not derive from my name but from one of my personality that sometimes shifting without me realizing it (yeah, so sci-fi), but if you know me more, you'll know why MoMo is one of my nick name.

And then we know more about each other and he realize another side of me. I have a principal that I must not loss, once I pay (or someone else for that matter), I will utilize everything that I can get from that payment. So he start to call me OGi (read similar like : O - Ghee) in Bahasa Indonesia, it's an abbreviate from Ogah ruGI, it means maybe similar like no-loss-behind (hmm, is that an English term?) or Don't wanna loss.

Even after that, my nickname evolve once again when he combined the two of them. He made his final nickname for me, it is MoGi (read similar like : Mow - Ghee), and now his family and close friends start to call me by that name. In Bahasa Indonesia, it means Momo Ogah Rugi.

Well, actually there's a lot more of my nickname including Honey (from someone at my highschool) or Kaki (means Kak Kiki or Bro Kiki) or even BangKi (means Abang Kiki or Bro Kiki in different dialect of other Indonesian part). I love to hear new nicknames that people made for me. It shows how close they are to me, and my close friends know that I don't have that many friends.

On my interview, someone from Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy talk to some of us about the importance of names. She said that if your name is too hard to pronounce, some people might be have a hard time to remember you. Well, she brought up an excellent point about "nickname equals marketing". This is my area of expertise.

At one point, I realize if I market my name using Rizky, that is one name that's not easy to pronounce and/or remember by a non-Arabic or English native speaker. At first, I would like to create a new nickname, that is RICKY. Yeah, some people once suggested this nickname because they said I look like Ricky Martin (un-true #sigh). It is easy to remember because it's an English name and a very common one to use. But then, I'm afraid if that's is one to common. so I will stick to RIZKY because of its uniqueness.

But then, here where the misunderstanding happens. Someone from the Academic Affairs ask me for a nickname while he offers to make a t-shirt for me. So I assume that it is the nickname that they want to print on the shirt. So because it's just on a shirt, I would like to use my original weird nick name. Kiki but in a more modern letter : QQ. yeah a letter Q and another letter Q.

I always feels like the letter Q is so me. If I have to choose between the 26 letters, I would definitely choose Q to represent me. But then, Oh my God, it became a name plate that I have to use for the entire two years of my existence in the school. At first I really do feel like I've made the biggest mistake because I misunderstood the message when they asked me for my nickname. The shirt doesn't even have my name on it.... arrrrgh....

And then, quoting a proverb in Indonesia, Once rice has become porridge, there's no use to cry about it, just give it spring onion, fried chopped shallots, broth and some chicken and there you have a chicken porridge. Maybe it really is the time for me to Back to Basic (quoting Christina Aguilera's album) and use my very own original nick name with a new twist. From Kiki to QQ.

The problem now is that since I need this for my performance grade, I need to link every lecturer to my nickname and my real name. The catch of this strategy is that they might know my nick name but none of them will remember my real name. So the challenge for me now is to link Rizky Novrianto and QQ. 

QQ is easy to remember, even though some people might pronounce it Kyu-kyu. Well, it might me a new nick name for me. It's always a good sign when people start to create new nick name for me. It means that they do care about me, oooh, I feel loved.... #FlyingWithoutWings

Well, although some people might know me with Rizky or even Ricky or QQ (either Kee-Kee or Kyu-Kyu) or even now someone create Q2 (Q square) for me and other start to create a new dance style for me called Godrad or "Goyang Kuadrat" (means "Dance Square") to add more on erotic dance market in Indonesia.
(google for "Goyang Ngebor", "Goyang Ngecor", "Goyang Gergaji", "Goyang Itik" or "Goyang Caesar" if you're interested in erotic dance from Indonesia, it'll make you laugh...!!! goyang means dance.)

For this first semester, I would like to see the performance of QQ as my nickname. If it do more harm than good, maybe I would change to RICKY for the next semester... hahaha... and it might change again for the third semester. Market is a place where you need to adapt in order to survive.

Well, once you know me better or at least my other thousands of personalities, you might come with a new nickname for me. There's a saying that says, "It just a name", but not for me, I believe more in a saying from Arabic that says, "Name is a pray to God", so every name has a deep meaning for me and every nickname has a memory from someone who give it to me.

But for now, let's stick to QQ, unless you have another name on your mind. Speak now or forever be in silence.... hahahaha........

No comments:

Post a Comment