Who Am I? Not Spiderman

My photo
Jakarta Pusat, DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
Rizky Novrianto is just an ordinary human being who try to live his life as extraordinary as it can be. I like to be different. You maybe able to find someone better than me, but You may never find someone like me. I hope common courtesy hasn't die yet. Treat people the way you want to be treated and even more, treat other people the way they want to be treated.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

E-Learning Week Reflection

NUS just finished its e-learning week this week. The concept was that if suddenly something bad happen to the campus, let say there's a bird flu endemic spread, The Student can still commence their process of learning through the advancement in technology. The study process moves to the internet universe. It's either Facebook, Forum, Video, anything that can still communicate between the lecturer and the students.

This event is posted on the Strait Times newspaper on page 2. But then again, is this kind of thing that new here in Singapore? I don't know how it could be different, but back in Indonesia (oops, here I go again), There's a University called Universitas Terbuka (Open University) which almost the entire process of study held from a distance and the student and the lecturer never met unless for several occasion. 

And then again, learning from the Open University, I don't even think that's a good idea. From what I heard, you can finish your degree longer than the average 'normal' university and the grade is mostly low. I must say that, "Thank God the e-learning week is only for a week..."

The problem is that, I enjoy being lectured rather than I have to read my self the entire course. I hate reading, even though I know it actually good for me. The Lecturers will only send their material through the internet, and the student asked to participate in either commenting the course material or submitting some assignments. 

Now, because of the internet, who can be certain that at least 90% of the students do read the material? or maybe this time I shouldn't use my self as the reference for the issue. hahaha. Because I don't read.

Some student can just go somewhere else and think of this as a vacation, while on the other hand, some students can really be serious about this. The basic is that, it depends on the student, but for me, e-learning is not suitable for my learning style.

The one that must be highlighted on this e-learning week that the 36 hours Policy Challenges. So the other lecturer might be just post a question and demand for a 100 words answer or to post comment on forum and comment on the others opinions. One lecturer even so kind to post a video of his lecture material. But, this one special particular course, really gives me a whole week of hell.

First of all, there are still two assignment that we have to submit in that particular week, suddenly the assignment is a group work rather than individual work, and finally, the challenge that originally said to be an only 6 hours challenge, turn into a 36 hours challenge. Alamak!!!!!

I really feel like slapping someone at that time.. AAAAAARRRRGH!!!! EDUARDOOOOO!!!!!!!!
I feel like taking my wand and then cast "Imperio" on him... "Cancel the assignment...!"
and after that, "Avada Kedavra...!!!!!"
 
He even prolonged the deadline for another assignment. Oh, it feels like you know you're going to be shot by a thug and the thug is just keep delaying your death. Just shot me already and finish this suffering.

This one course really is consuming my entire week, darn it! 
From this meeting to that meeting, plus I'm juggling time because my friends is coming from Jakarta and finally, the dreadful 36 hours challenge. From 9 am in the morning after I slept at 4 am the previous night and the day before that, we have to work full day to finish a video project about giving solution to corruption in Myanmar. 

All day is about creating script, talking about solutions, recording, re-recording, re-recording again, then editing, arrrgh.... it's killing me. Though it's a great big thanks for the host for preparing a good Fried Rice for the lunch. But still, this assignment is excruciating.  

Finally at 7 pm, our group manage to finalize the video project, and it feels like we've been freed from a 1000 years imprisonment under a mountain, maybe like Sun Go Kong when he was freed from the 5 finger mountain that imprisoned him.

As much as I hate the assignment, the lecturer and the sudden changes. I remembered the story that I posted before about an experiment on the primary school students and how challenges actually make us stronger. 

From this excruciating assignment, I do learn much about editing video, recording, screen recording, and most of all, in the end me and my group mates were laughing and we're so happy in the end. Despite that we're so stressful, in the end there's just relief. Some people even held a party in my unit all night long. 

The fact is that all of us are getting closer to each other, we're bonding more than ever, we're knowing more about each other, and finally the assignment is being done...!!!
This challenge does makes us stronger than before. 

As much as I hate to admit this, but for me, this e-learning week, especially this one, has a good effect. Aside from the stress level it created, it also has good side that I'm grateful about. No matter the outcome, I still think that our video is the best one, because we did it whole-heartedly, we glad with the result and we have fun doing it. That is all that matter.

But still, if you're going to do this again Eduardoooo...... please notice what I'm about to say, "Don't change the assignment, in terms of time, so suddenly, we have a life to live too you know..."
But after saying that, "Thank you... for pushing me this far...."

Does this mean I want to do this again?

Thanks... but NO THANKS....!!!! hahahaha....




Please watch our video in this link and show us some love by clicking the LIKE button...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8A1q-uEV6Y


image source:
http://www.bar.co.uk/images/elearningglobe.png

No comments:

Post a Comment