Who Am I? Not Spiderman

My photo
Jakarta Pusat, DKI Jakarta, Indonesia
Rizky Novrianto is just an ordinary human being who try to live his life as extraordinary as it can be. I like to be different. You maybe able to find someone better than me, but You may never find someone like me. I hope common courtesy hasn't die yet. Treat people the way you want to be treated and even more, treat other people the way they want to be treated.

Friday, September 13, 2013

The Distance Between Me and God

If someone asks me why I don't drink Alcohol, the answer is simple, because I obey what God forbids me. There's a story about Alcohol that always stuck in my head. 

There was one pious man, then the demon got to him. The Demon took him and lock him in room. Then the Demon said to the Pious Man, "I will let you go from this room, if you will do what I say. it's either one, you have to kill this woman." Said the demon while pointing at a woman on that room. "Or two, you have to rape this woman, or three, you will have to drink the Alcohol until you drunk." The Pious man is in great confusion, but then he chose to drink the Alcohol until he drunk, because he think that it's better than he has to kill or rape the woman."I'll take the drink then" said the Pious Man to the Demon.Then the Pious Man drink the Alcohol until he drunk, after that later he rape the woman, and finally kill her. The sin that he thought the lesser evil, make him do all the three things he wants to avoid.

But then again I think, "So If I don't drunk, it's fine"
But then again, what God has forbid, I obey. So I don't want to touch the Alcohol.

Alcohol is different than Pork and Dog (yeah, some people ate dog). If God forbid me to eat Pork and Dog, it basically easier because there are substitutes to those meats, there's beef, lamb, shrimp, fish and others. But Alcohol don't have the exact substitutes, soft drink is not the substitutes for Alcohol.

So I actually having curiosity and craving for alcohol. But I hold it for the very basic reason, God Forbid me. Yeah, and actually there's another reason, I don't want to pay for Alcohol. hahaha....

So then, once Alcohol were there on a silver platter, for free. I have the biggest dilemma of my life. On one side I'm curious, on the other side, I don't want to break the thing that God forbid me. Some people said that, "Curiosity kills a cat"

And yes, curiosity kills my good deed.
If before I don't drink Alcohol because God forbid me, now I don't drink Alcohol because I simply don't like the taste. There goes my good deed.

I actually don't blame Singapore for this, but since I arrive in Singapore, I really do feel that I'm moving further away from God. It's like the distance is wider now. If in Indonesia (there it goes again, I keep comparing everything to Indonesia), You can easily find a praying room in every place, every building, every mall, every park, everywhere. But here in Singapore. The Malls doesn't have a Praying Room. I actually not a traveler, but sometimes I pray as I'm a traveler. Singapore really isn't my hometown, but still, living here for 1,5 month already, doesn't qualify me as a traveler anymore. But I sometimes pray the traveler style, because it's hard to find praying room.

But then again, I wonder to my self... "Is this true? or I just making this easy for me?"
The technology is actually quite advance now and you can find the nearest Mosque around you. Maybe it's not near, but it's still in Singapore. Why I'm too lazy to move my feet to the Mosque just simply because it's far? People of old time were riding a camel through the desert just to pray and here I am, to lazy to go to the Mosque.

Today is Friday and I should be doing my Friday Pray. But I overslept and when I woke up, it's raining outside so then I decided to go back to sleep because the mosque is gonna be too far if I walk in this heavy rain. Oh my God... what happened to me. It's really like I keep moving away from You.

Maybe before this, I was to spoiled because of the easiness that I feel and I took everything for granted. Now the real challenges is come and I'm not prepared for that. In a place when you're no longer a majority is a hard life. But challenges shouldn't make you weak. Every challenges you conquer can make you even stronger. I know that this is hard for me to handle, but at least I want to walk in the right path. Not that I'm saying that all your way is the wrong paths, but this is my life and this is the right path that I chose to believe.

This distance really is wider, but even if I have to make baby steps or even crawl, I will make this distance close again. God once said through Prophet Muhammad, "I am near. If you come to Me by walking, I come to you by running." So maybe If I crawl, God will still come after me by walking.

Sometimes I wonder, in this world where people seems walk away from God and said that religion is no longer "up to date" with it's many restrictions, "Do I look like an old soul person? Will I look like a traditional person in this super-modern world?"

But I think, one Nobel Prize winner once said, regarding of her choice to wear a muslimah outfit, that, "Man in early times was almost naked, and as his intellect evolved he started wearing clothes. What I am today and what I’m wearing represents the highest level of thought and civilization that man has achieved, and is not regressive. It’s the removal of clothes again that is regressive back to ancient times." She is  Tawakkul Karman, ‘The Mother Of Yemen’s Revolution’.

Sometimes I also think like that too. "In the early time, Man lives free without rules, just like animals. Along time, our intellect evolves and we start to create rules, regulation and came along religion. Now at this time where we have achieved a high level of thought and civilization, we run away from rules, regulation and even religion to declare our self free. There's no such thing as free, there's only limited freedom. And Religion should be one of our limitation in life."

Oh maybe I should get a Nobel Prize for this, hahaha....
Though I fully realized that I'm not perfect and still struggling with so many aspect of my life, but still I try not to stray to far from the path that I chose to live. God doesn't need me to obey Him, it's me who needs God to be a part of my life and my purpose of living.


Image source:
http://www.indianruminations.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/long-distance-love.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I've just accidentally found this blog...and I like your thoughtful (and sometimes funny) posts very much. I especially like what you said about religion. Keep your faith :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comments
    :)

    ReplyDelete